14/07/2009

home cooking - kotiruokaa




Home sweet home! After travelling around for a couple of weeks and eating this and that here and there it feels good to calm down for some home cooking. My favourite companion by the stove is Kotiruoka (Home cooking), a book that has guided Finnish women in the art of cooking for decades. It's been updated every now and then of course - my copy is the latest edition. The recipes I've tried are very basic but results have been well received in our family. And even though I'm not an enthusiastic cook and like to make things the easy way, I appreaciate the instructions for handling fish, meat and poultry. It makes me think I could gut a fish if I'd like to, and also use meat that hasn't been precut and vacuum packed. I could if I wasn't too, too lazy.


Again today I thought how beautiful food is, I mean the ingredients. Potatoes peeled and yellowish, carrots and sweet potatoes glowing in shades of orange, onions in translucent white, and olive oil in greenish gold. They became a pot of goulasch, tasted marvellous and fed the family. Beauty for the eyes, strength for the body and comfort for the soul.

2 comments:

Sanna N. said...

Ihana ajatus, löytää silmän(kin) iloa arkisesta ruoanlaitosta. Minulle tuo kokkaaminen on niin pakkopullaa, että aina ei muista että siitäkin voi nauttia kun vaan asennoituu oikein.
Yritänpä muistaa seuraavalla kerralla. (Nyt kun meillä on ihan upouusi keittiökin!) :D

Maria said...

Sanna, onnea uuden keittiön emännälle! Ja koko uuteen kotiin tietysti myös. Minäkään en ole järin ihastunut ruoanlaittoon, mutta ruokatarvikkeet inspiroivat, hevi-osasto ainakin. Päädyn usein ostamaan hedelmiä tai kasviksia niiden kauneuden vuoksi, kun ajattelen miltä ne näyttäisivät jossain tietyssä kulhossa vaikka. Saattavatpa sitten mokomat jäädä syömättäkin, kun en inspiroidukaan kokkaamaan niistä. Noloa, vääryys ja tuhlausta.